<VV> NEW STYLE BALLAST

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Nov 12 19:27:19 EST 2014

Old transformers are just sets of windings of very fine wire.  If enough insulation breaks down to short them the fine wire burns in two just like a fuse.  It may be possible but I've never seen a transformer fail and catch on fire.  I have seen several switch mode power supplies fail and catch on fire.  Mainly electrolytic capacitors burning.  A really long life electrolytic capacitor rating is 6000 hours from all the data sheets I've read (a lot of them).  A switch mode power supply is supposed to use less electricity but I doubt it's cheaper to run.  They usually cost a lot more to start with especially if you already have a normal transformer style (free).  They normally don't last more than a few years 5 is probably average unless they use good components.
They certainly aren't safer.
Anyone here ever seen a standard transformer catch on fire?
Of course this is Corvair content because it's for a Corvair sign.  I would love to have one and if I find one I'll want one of those old transformers so don't toss them out.

Joel McGregor

From: VirtualVairs [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] on behalf of N2VZD--- via VirtualVairs [virtualvairs at corvair.org]
Subject: Re: <VV> NEW STYLE BALLAST

Instead of just a high voltage transformer (kind of like an ignition coil)
they are now a solid state "switching" type circuit with a circuit board
oscillator making the high voltages needed to fire the mercury in the tube.
same  type circuit in the base of them stupid looking  curly light bulbs...
basically it is more efficient . I will clean out the tar box and put a
modern circuit in it. (when I get time?)
regards, Tim Colson