<VV> oil pump & fuel pump issue

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Thu Nov 13 23:10:07 EST 2014

Ken and Garry,
Oil pump issue first.  Ken, before you go to all the trouble the others suggested, here's something simple and it works.  Just install some Amsoil 15w-40 heavy duty diesel and marine oil (AME) in your car. I'll bet you if you do, you won't have any more issues with the idiot lights or 'lower' pressures.  It has 1200 and 1300 ppm of zinc and phosphorus and has a surface tension 12 times greater than petroleum oil.  So, when it wraps itself around your engine parts, IT WRAPS ITSELF AROUND YOUR ENGINE PARTS.  No more dry start-ups, ever.  As a matter of fact, it lubricates so well I recently constructed a '64' 110 using a 60 case and cooling system out of all USED parts!!!!  The only new parts (besides gaskets and seals) were the rings and valve springs.  The car runs so well I can easily get 65 out of 3rd gear before I shift into fourth.  There is still plenty of room to rev, but since the tach in the spyder dash only works when it wants to, I don't want to get too crazy.  It also offers the best engine protection out there. How do I know?  I also use the Amsoil 15w-40 in my pushmower with a 3.5 Briggs engine.  Ashamedly, I must admit that, not once, but TWICE, some bonehead neglected to check the oil often enough and when it started making funny noises realized his mistake. Checked the oil.  NOTHING ON THE DIPSTICK. Filled it up.  Started right up and the funny noises were gone!!! That little old pushmower will be 20 years old next spring!!!!  But seriously, Amsoil works.  It cures a multitude of sins, as the saying goes.  I've used it exclusively since 1981 with nothing but spectacular results.  Try it.  You'll like it.

     As for the fuel pump issue, I found this sheet under the seat of my '61 parts car I was stripping.  It's the actual AC installation instruction sheet dated (6-67).  It says:

1960 Corvairs and '61 Corvairs built before Nov 1, 1960, were equipped with fuel pump 5594704 and push rod 6256495.
After Oct 31,1960, push rod 3797593 was used.  This includes a resilient bumper at the upper end, to eliminate noise.  Cars with this push rod require type 4886 pump, which is 1/4" shorter than the 4704.
Type 4704 should be used only to replace original pump No. 5594704, on the original push rod of 1960 and early 1961 Corvairs.

Installation of 4704 pump on the new, longer push rod will result in damage!!!!

(Many 1960 and early 1961 cars have been changed over to type 4886 pump and 3797593 push rod to cure noise problems.)

The 4704 pump has a 7/16" free length out the bottom of the pump.  The 6495 push rod has the spring on the end that looks like a christmas tree.
The 4886 pump has a 3/16" free length out the bottom of the pump.  The 7593 push rod has the spring on the end that looks like  an upside down christmas tree.
Any fuel pump you buy now is only the 4886 pump.  They haven't sold the other one since Nov 1960.  You don't have to modify the 4886 pump.  When looking at a 4704 pump,  the shaft is almost a 1/2 " long and sticks out like a sore thumb.  The only thing the sheet says about the push rod is that the new one is LONGER than the old one.  Sorry.  It doesn't give the lengths.
Hope this helps you guys.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'60 700 4dr. '64' 110/4spd
'63 ragtop 110/pg