<VV> Corvairs for movie

John Beck jb30343 at windstream.net
Tue Oct 14 09:44:44 EDT 2014

AD=Assistant Director.  S/he is in charge of the set.  The Director has
artistic control but the 1st AD is in charge of keeping things moving,
on schedule, permits...  If he or she says, "be very careful with that
guy's car", people will be very careful with the car.

AC=Assistant Cameraman.  The 1st AC is in charge of every aspect of how
the camera is built which likely includes some aspects of how it is
mounted to the car.  Car mounts (and in car lighting) may also fall
under the Grip and Electric Department which I why I mentioned getting
to know the key grip.  Film crews are complicated little families.  I
miss being part of the Camera Dept.

BTW, I would expect to be paid.  If you're providing a car for the film,
you are working and deserve to be paid.  Even interns are usually paid.
--J.B.

Frank DuVal via VirtualVairs wrote:
> I know what a Key Grip is (besides the black plastic on my car key,
> ggg), but what is an AD or AC?
>
> We already know they are not paying for our time, just mileage or
> such. I am busy working or I would go, only about 35
>  minutes from my house. You bring up some good points I hadn't
> considered.
>
> I do have a non-operating 64 700 4 door with blue interior, but it is
> a custom interior. Seats and door panels. It could not substitute for
> Patrick's Lakewood.
>
> Frank DuVal
>
> On 10/13/2014 9:36 PM, John Beck via VirtualVairs wrote:
>> Patrick, I've worked in the TV and motion picture industry for 35
>> years. This might turn out to be a lot of fun for you.  You will make
>> some money and get great exposure for your car and Corvairs in
>> general.  But, there is a downside.  Be very careful who you are
>> dealing with.  There are lots of great production companies out there
>> and there are almost as many who are determined to give the industry
>> a bad name.  Be sure to get an enforceable agreement on how you will
>> be compensated for any damage to your car.  Be sure your contract
>> spells out that the production company will be liable for any
>> injuries or damage caused by your car.  If you want to make sure your
>> car is treated with tender loving care try to speak directly with the
>> 1st AD and let him or her know your concerns.  The key grip and 1st
>> AC are the closest thing you will have to allies on the set.  Enjoy
>> the ride.  --J.B.
>>
>> Patrick Murphy via VirtualVairs wrote:
>>> There is a film being shot in Virginia over next few months. They
>>> requested
>>> 60s cars. I sent photos in of my 61 700 Lakewood wagon in, thinking
>>> I'll
>>> get it in for background. Now they are seriously looking at the car for
>>> interior shots and asked me if I knew any Corvairs of the same color
>>> that
>>> can double for mine. My wagon is close to Jewel Blue but maybe a bit
>>> lighter. Anybody out there close by or wants to travel with an early
>>> model
>>> 700 Corvair with medium blue interior and jewel blue exterior that