<VV> Installation of engine pistons

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 15:10:21 EDT 2014

Jerry, always follow the tech manual for the engine. Even when it appears
that everything is symmetrical and balanced. How else are you going to tell
what you have down the road or while you are working? If you do your work
in a inconsistent way, there are more chances to make mistakes, forget
something, etc, and aligning the piston marks and rod position numbers help
to provide that consistent work we rely on to provide years of trouble free
motoring.

While I did assemble my engine 4 years ago, I did not check to see if there
was offset built into the location of the piston pin, or if the rods were
something else besides symmetrical. I have seen aircraft engines and
automotive engines were there were offsets in piston pin location to
compensate for say a piston leaning in a V-6 or V-8, or in a flat
configuration like aviation piston engines and Corvair motors are.

In short, follow the book!  :):)  If you don't, then you should not be
doing the work. You are bound to make mistakes.

Mark Durham
Hauser, Idaho
62 Monza coupe Red/Red 4 speed