<VV> Installation of engine pistons

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Sat Oct 25 17:04:22 EDT 2014

Nice.  Thanks Chuck.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: BBRT via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
To: Jerry Brown <air_cooled63 at yahoo.com>
Cc: virtualvairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Sat, Oct 25, 2014 3:30 pm
Subject: Re: <VV> Installation of engine pistons

Offset piston rods are used in pistons to reduce piston slap when piston
crosses top dead center (TDC).
From Google...
Piston is generally offset to major thrust side of cylinder. The major
thrust side is the side of the cylinder wall the piston is pushed against on
the power stroke. The minor side is the side the piston rides against as it
pushes upward the compression stroke. The purpose of the offset is to reduce
the amount of piston slap as the piston is forced from the minor to the
major thrust side just after crosses TDC. Then the piston is pushed up on
the compression stroke it rocks slightly so the lower skirt on the major
thrust side contacts the cylinder wall. As the piston crosses TDC that
contact allows the rest of the skirt to ease its way over to the major
thrust side. Without the tilt of the piston, the skirt would ride up the
minor side, reach TDC and be slammed agasint the other side by, to
combustion pressure.

Chuck S