<VV> Wrenching comments

hallgrenn hallgrenn at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 08:12:44 EDT 2014

Great thread guys.  Takes me back to my regular "beater" days and gets me ready for this weekend's projects.
Bob

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.

side saddle, Japanese speed wrench etc.) along with ViseGrips and "water
pump" pliers to help round off flare nuts, bolts and other fasteners.
After using my set of smaller Craftsman flare nut wrenches to no avail on a
really stubborn unit even with the addition of ViseGrips on it I broke down
and bought a set of pricey SnapOn flare nut wrenches. They do work better.
For the carb filter nut I have the correct size and type wrench. I have also
in the past slotted a common 1" box end that worked fine. ViseGrips are the
only tool for flare nuts that have been rounded off by others if you have to
get the line off in one piece.
Otherwise I cut the line and replace it if I can. A lot of this was done
back in my younger poorer days when all I had was a box of simple tools and
abundant energy.

Seth's mention of using a large Crescent wrench reminded me of a my own
experience with said tool. Some years back while working on the road I came
across a decent 66 Corvair for cheap. It had been sitting at an outside
storage faculity for a number of years and the owner wanted it gone.
I borrowed a car trailer from a friend and talked another working buddy into
helping me get the car on the trailer. On the appointed day after work we
went to the lot to get the car. All the tires were flat and sunk in the mud.
We aired up the tires but it would not move. We hooked a chain to it and I
dragged it out with my truck. Turned out the left front wheel or brake drum
was frozen to the shoes. Not having more than a few tools with me I did
however have a brand new 18" crescent wrench which served well as a hammer.
This was mid-summer in Bristol TN and the mother of all thunderstorms was
brewing as we worked. I finally beat the brake drum loose but, as the car
did not run all we had to get it on the trailer was a come along which I had
also just bought. Now, anyone who has used this mid-evil torture device can
attest, it takes a lot of pulls on the ratchet handle to move the vehicle
one inch! So here we are tag teaming and cranking like mad to get it loaded
before the storm hits. Just as we finally get it on the trailer and
minimally tied down the torrents of rain began the two us just getting in
the truck in time. Thoughtfully my partner brought along a cooler with cold
beer! I don't believe I have ever tasted a better adult beverage! The drive
back was a bit hairy as we had to cross several narrow bridges in a driving
rain, failing sunlight and oncoming traffic. That car served as a parts car
and go-by during my V8 Vair build. After stripping it I cut the body up and
hauled it to the scrapper. As for the new Crescent wrench/BFH, I had to
dress up some of the damage but it works fine and resides in my tool box as
you read this.

These are good ideas - Unless you need to remove the Nut and you need to
remove the nut right now. The swap meet approach -like the Harbor Freight
approach - is the method to use when you will need the wrench two or three
times  over a few years. Buying a nicer 1" wrench beats the adjustable
wrench (and  really beats the Channel Locks). Making your own? That goes
above and beyond,  unless you have the material, the torch, the grinder and
a little time. Then it  is a great idea.

Of course, unlike the nice home built "skinny wrench" and the stamped out
pot metal (dollar-bin) wrench, a good, solid Crescent wrench, can be used to
beat the crap out of something that is desperately asking for it.
(Something,  not someone!)

Have a good night!  - Seth