<VV> Flare nut wrench size

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Wed Sep 3 16:56:07 EDT 2014

Friend of mine had an adjustable wrench, brand name "Lobster" that he used on occasion to put his '32 Ford roadster together.  The 1" wrench for the filter covers does not require great precision. I usually grab the 1" shorty combination wrench from the cheap Harbor Freight Set, works fine.   Yes I have a thin wrench for the PG modulator, but only use it for that.

Time for a little education.   There are Vice-Grips and Vice-Grips.   What commonly come to everyone's mind with the term Vice-Grip is the Vice Grip Pliers . . . they tend to make quick work of rounding off the points from any hexagonal fastener.  The lesser known are the Vice Grip Wrench.  These have one V shaped jaw that clamps to the flats of a Hexagonal fastener and are clamped tight by the opposing jaw.   These work especially well on brake and fuel lines because the clamping action slightly tweeks the fitting helping it to brake loose from any corrosion.  My set of Vice Grip Wrenches gets most of the fittings that stump my flare wrench set.

T. Kalp
Wichita, KS