<VV> Wrenching Experiences

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Sep 4 23:03:08 EDT 2014

For almost 20 years, I had a snap-on dealer stop at my home.
I am a hobbyist. I purchased tool boxes, then upgraded to larger boxes.
I purchased many "used" or re-possessed items off my dealer.
Bought welder, hand tools, and yes, had warranteed items that broke.
(he keeps telling me not to use my 1/2 ratchet as a hammer)

My payments averaged anywhere from $25 to $50 a week, depending on what I
had purchased.

Snap-on is the Cadillac of tools.
They do not depreciate in value (hand tools)
In fact, they appreciate in value.
What was a $20 ratchet 20 years ago, is now a $40 ratchet, because it has a
lifetime warranty, so if it breaks, or is stolen, is worth more than what
you paid for it.
Perishable items like welders, air tools, they wear out and are not
lifetime, they depreciate.

Any dealer is trying to make a living, and cannot be bothered by the
mechanic who needs one tool, and will take up time. He is after the guy who
is making a living off these tools, or is a serious hobbyist, and will buy
regularly and get into a payment plan. They will stop at your house for
that.

You can order on-line. I developed a rapport with my dealer, and though now
he does not stop every week, I can call him if there is something I need,
and he lives less than 3 miles away.

I actually have reached the point of not needing anything new. What I have
is not wearing out quickly, and I am fully equipped for almost anything that
comes along. Note Snap-on has specialty tools you cannot get elsewhere, for
instance knob and antenna removal sockets, clutch head drive, and much more.

I did buy a lot of craftsman stuff along the way.
Now it is all inferior and made in China.
They closed the local craftsman store near me, and now I have to drive 15
miles to get a tool warranteed.

Gary Swiatowy