<VV> Thermister Swap?

Jim Simpson simpsonj at verizon.net
Fri Sep 5 15:32:58 EDT 2014

The short answer is no, it won't work.  The longer answer is that yes, you
can put a suitable resistor in series with the Rochester thermistor and get
a correct reading at one (1) temperature.  Pick the temperature you want to
be "accurate" and you could find a resistor that would give you that one
reading.

The problem is that the Rochester and GM thermistors have different
temperature vs resistance curves.  Even with the addition of a resistor,
the curves will not overlay.   All you can do is make them cross each other
at some point.

If you want to use the Rochester thermistor, you will have to make (or have
made) a black box to translate from it's response curve to the gauge
response curve.  In principle, not a hard thing to do.  But it would take a
little time and tinkering.

I've been thinking about it a little and may give it a try in my spare time
in order to refresh my electronics skills.  But don't hold your breath
waiting for me to get it done...

Jim Simpson
Group Corvair