<VV> Mystery Holes Underside Trunk Lid

Nick R nraeber at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 13:12:06 EDT 2014

On my 1967 Monza, and my friend's 1965 Corsa, there are 4 unused holes just
above and aligned about the same angles, as the holes for the deck hinges.

Was this an original attempt to locate hinges in a different place, and they
just never filled in the holes?

Just curious if anyone ever asked this before, and what did they find?

PS: I also sent this with image but that will take longer ...

Charlie

I would like to take a stab at this question. My best guess is that the
holes were there to locate the bottom half of the lid onto jig & fixture
pins during the process of welding the top skin of the lid onto the bottom
half of the trunk deck lid. In the business these holes are referred to as
"hydropierce". I was told that is because the holes are punched through the
metal by a hydraulic punch. That's my 2 cents.

Nick Raeber