<VV> Gas gauge question

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Tue Sep 9 21:19:46 EDT 2014

I have a question:  What's wrong with my gas gauge?  When I got the car, ( a '60 4dr) it worked.  The sender was new.  Replaced by the previous owner.  But the gas tank was full of crud, so I removed the sender, then the tank.
The tank was then cleaned thoroughly, then re-installed.  Then the sender was re-installed.  It was ensured there was a good ground.  But now..............it didn't work.  It just sits there at about the 1/4 mark on the gauge.  Well, I recently had the opportunity to check on it again.  The tank was again drained, the sender removed.  I then hooked it back up to  the sender wire and grounded it under the car.  I had my wife watch the gas gauge as I moved the sender arm up and down.  I asked her where the gauge read at various positions.  It worked fine.  It just seemed to read on the high side.  Also, the float had no fuel in it and was ok.  Problem solved I thought.  Then I reinstalled everything.
Turned on the ignition and it just sits there at about the 1/4 mark on the gauge.  Even after the tank was filled.  The gauge didn't change.  Very frustrating.
Thoughts and opinions welcome, especially if you know what's up with this.  Thanx in advance.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'60 700 4dr.  '64' 110/4spd
'63 '500' ragtop  110/pg
'65 Monza 4dr. 84/pg