<VV> lube oil contamination

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Sep 13 15:43:03 EDT 2014

Hi, Bob-
It was contained in one of the replies to "Setting part cleanliness
specifications for gears"
It's the last couple of lines in romke's response on 9 sept.

Helpful Member! romke
<http://www.eng-tips.com/userinfo.cfm?member=romke> (Automotive)
9 Sep 14 3:46

i think it will be very hard to come up with a usable specification that
not interferes with normal assembly and operating practice. in the past
there have been indications that when reducing
<http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=371258#> the particle count
of the lubricant, wear on roller bearings could be reduced quite a bit.
however, trying to carry this out in standard assembly was shown to be
incompatible with normal production requirements. if you want to reduce
the particle count you will need to assemble in a "clean room" and use
"superclean" lubricant that is filled into the gearbox through a
suitable filter. as soon as the gears start to operate however they will
start generating lots of debris initially and still quite a bit after
properly run in.

in theory these wear debris could be taken out by a suitable filter -
the problem being that you need a large capacity filter with suitable
filter size characteristics. since gears (unlike a properly designed
hydraulic system <http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=371258#>
that can be made clean with suitable filtering and can stay clean
afterwards) gears will continue to add wear debris in a rate that a
suitable equilibrium can not be achieved.

a better way to protect
<http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=371258#> gears and bearings
would imo be to include a magnetic plug to collect most of the metallic
wear debris to keep them away from bearings and gears once "caught"

you should also be aware of the fact that both in gears and in roller
bearings the lubrication is of the elastohydrodynamic variety - meaning
that the lubricant film may be as thin as 0.1 micron at high loads. that
means that minute sized debris still can do a lot of damage, so small
that filtering them out with normal filtering equipment is impossible.

perhaps the best way to assure long gear and bearing life is to make
sure that the gears are run in properly, which may call for the
temporary use of a specialized running in lubricant. one other thing to
consider is that since lubrication is of the EHD variety, complete
separation of mating surfaces will never be possible at all speeds and
loads and thus gears or bearings will fail eventually due to surface
fatigue and the wear debris that result from it.

just one more remark: life of gears and bearings can be shortened
exponentially when small amounts of water are present in the lubricant -
even 0.1% can reduce the lifespan quite considerably.

--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans

---