<VV> Belt Tensioner Tool

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sat Sep 20 11:49:11 EDT 2014

VVers:

I heard some squealing last night from the engine compartment of my '65
Monza 110 this morning.  I looked and saw that the belt seems very loose
while the engine is running.  It looks like it's abnormally expanding
contracting and trying its best to jump the pulleys on top of the
shroud.  The belt also squeals when you tap the throttle with the car in
neutral.  I'm thinking that I'm on my way to throwing a belt if I don't
tighten it up.

This thread (http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,502927,503056)
on the Corvair Forum mentions the use of a belt wrench sold by Clark's.
I just searched Clark's website but can't seem to find it.  The
questions I have are:

1) Does anyone know the Clark's part no. or page in the catalog where
this wrench is located?

2) Is this wrench really "mandatory" as one post-er said?  I have to
think the answer is 'no' since people managed to do this before the
wrench tool was invented.

3) Are there any other insights?

This doesn't seem like rocket science, but I threw my first ever belt on
a Corvair a few months ago so now I'm a little skittish.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steven "likes a good belt now and again" Serenska