<VV> Ignition weirdness a lesson in voltage drop

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Sep 23 11:15:18 EDT 2014

Wait!

One can NOT remove the coil and points from the circuit and measure voltage
at the end of the yellow wire to see if the resistance is correct. Ohms law
is still law. If there is no complete circuit, current cannot flow, so
there is no I to use the formula E=IR. R times 0 is 0 and therefore no
voltage drop across the resistor, even if it is in the circuit. The voltage
you read on the + wire to the coil with a typical high impedance voltmeter
will be battery voltage with an open circuit. He already reads battery
voltage at the + coil. The points do not mess up the reading, they MAKE the
reading meaningful.

With the coil in the circuit and the points CLOSED, current will flow, so
E=IR is the law and the E at the coil should read ~ 6 volts, not battery
voltage with the resistance wire in the circuit.

You could read the resistance wire with the ohms scale, if you disconnect
the negative lead of the battery. Measure from the + battery terminal to
the + coil wire (disconnected from the coil) with the ignition switch in
the on position.

Frank DuVal

Original email: