<VV> 140 Engine Ticking BAD

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 28 21:41:38 EDT 2014

A piece of grime in one of the carbs is the likely culprit.  You were likely
running on only one bank of cylinders.

Since it is a 140, you can feel the exhaust on both sides to see which is
running cooler and that will be your culprit.  Typical roadside "fix"
(temporary) is to remove the air cleaner, rev the engine by using the carb
crossover shaft, cup your hand over the offending carb until the engine
nearly stalls.  Do this 3 or 4 times.  Your hand will get gasoline on it.
Then see if the power has come back to the engine.  If not, repeat.

The piece of grime is quite likely a very small piece of the accelerator
pump inside the carb.

Later, JR