<VV> DIsappearing Water Question - No Corvair, obiouvsly

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Aug 9 04:26:47 EDT 2015

Grant,

It may be that the overflow from the radiator to the overflow  tank may be
greater than the capacity of the tank.  It overflows and loses  fluid to the
street and then sucks the tank almost dry when everything  cools.  Here are
a couple of points.

Lack of overflow staining may not be enough evidence that it  isn't
happening while driving. I assume that there is a tube that leads from the  tank to
the bottom of the engine compartment to the street. Place a tin can some
place in the engine compartment and run the overflow tube to it. If it has
fluid  in it after a long drive, the radiator is overflowing more fluid than
the tank  can hold.

Check the tank immediately after a drive that is long  enough to heat
everything to the max.  If the tank is over-full, then you  are losing fluid for
that reason.  Your radiator cap  may be the wrong pressure or may have lost
its pressure capability over the  years.  If it is weak, it will allow more
fluid to escape  to the  tank.  Lower pressure will allow water to turn to
steam at a lower temp and  force more fluid into the overflow tank.  Check
the cap gasket for cracks  and the seat for crap.  Even if there is no visible
problem, the cap could  still be bad.  A new cap (a good one) is a lot
cheaper than  constantly replacing antifreeze/coolant or destroying  an aluminum
head due to undetected overheating.  If the new cap doesn't  solve the
problem, you can sell it on eBay as a Corvair radiator cap.   lol  You need
proper pressure and a good seal.

Don't refill the overflow tank each time you drive.  See  if the radiator
fluid level goes down after several driving sessions.  If  it remains full,
the fluid isn't leaking directly into the engine or out of the  engine other
than the overflow system.

Your thermostat may be getting wonky.  The water temp may  be getting
higher than when the car was new but maybe not high enough for your  temp light
to flash on.  Temp sensors/gages and snap switches can be  fairly inaccurate.
 Higher temp means higher pressure  and more overflow.

If your engine is running well, it is unlikely that you have a  head gasket
permitting combustion gasses into the water jacket but it is worth
mentioning.

Good luck,

Doc

In a message dated 8/8/2015 7:14:44 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  3