<VV> What is squish?

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Tue Aug 11 10:59:59 EDT 2015

Does anyone know why squish decreased detonation in 4 strokes and increases it in 2 strokes?  Is it because the symmetrical way a 2 stroke head is generally made causes everything to collide in the middle?
I know from experience that it's very easy to get too much squish velocity in a 2 stroke and have serious detonation problems.
Joel McGregor