<VV> that e-book

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Sun Dec 27 20:02:07 EST 2015

OK, I've got it and read it. First, it's not a book as it is only 13
pages long; booklet maybe but better described as a pamphlet. It is
poorly formatted and poorly written; it meanders more than it flows to a
crisp conclusion.

There are literally dozens of technical errors even though the whole
thing is only 13 pages long. That doesn't help his credibility and
provides a calibration of his competence in researching his topic. I
didn't count lines, but he seems to spend more time on the heater/CO
issue than he does on the handling. I never liked the Corvair heater
myself, but he was of the persuasion that people were passing out and
dying from fumes and CO poisoning while driving Corvairs. There wasn't
really any new info on the handling issue; he did cover the well known
issue that GM bean counters cut needed handling improvements to save on
cost.

He spends time on newspaper articles, comments from politicians, and
supposed evidence that GM was holding back though nothing is/was
technically proven. There's no comparative data on other vehicles of the
time and corresponding death rates. In other words, his presented
arguments consist mostly of opinion and hearsay. Most of his references
are newspaper and magazine articles with no solid technical background.

PS...He mentions CORSA once (relatively neutral statement) and refers to
the stock Corvair as a high acceleration sports car (???).

Mark N