<VV> Updating info on timing cover removal.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Feb 7 20:55:02 EST 2015

John - You may not have to remove the rear cover at all! You may have a
leaky oil cooler or seals. The oil cooler is attached via a single bolt  aimed
forward in the car. When installed, the cooler traps two seals between the
front face of the cooler and a mounting casting. The single bolt actually
screws  into that casting directly between the seals. Those seals can be a
source of a  leak, especially when they get hard. That casting bolts to the
side of the main  case assembly - two bolts. There is a gasket between the
casting and the  left case half. This gasket is NOT prone to leaking since it
is well  clamped in place during assembly.  My suggestion is to remove the
oil  cooler cover. That is that bent-plate item that tucks in just above it,
held in  place by two hex-head screws that go into small nut-plates on the
back of  the cooler. Once the cover is removed, you will be able to see the
oil cooler  and it's mounts. It it is the source of the leak, you should see
it. Besides that one clamping bolt, the other end of the cooler is clamped
in place, usually over a stud on the cylinder head. The engine side sheet
metal may - or may not - be installed covering the access to that stud. The
stock 12-plate cooler can be removed with the stock long 3/8" bolts taken
out  and a bit of fiddling with the cooler - PS, removal of the cooler will
get  oil everywhere, just live with it and clean up afterwards. You will need
the two  baloney-slice seals - Buy Viton replacements if you can, the seals
get as hot as  your oil. Be careful when you place the new seals into the
cavity on the cast  piece and snug-up the oil cooler. It can be tricky. But if
it helps you to avoid  removing the rear cover - it is worth trying.

-Seth Emerson

In a message dated 2/7/2015 5:13:18 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,