<VV> Tech tip - Screw the rear grille!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 14:11:08 EST 2015

Thanks Mark - Great idea. - Seth

(My race car grill is held on by at least 5 screws total. My patience  ran
out!)

In a message dated 2/9/2015 11:04:51 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
virtualvairs at corvair.org writes:

Rear Air  Grill Mounting Aggravation
By Mark Corbin

When reinstalling the rear  air grill on a late model, across the top you
have to put the screw on a ¼”  socket extension and fish around to find the
hole. Then just about when you  think you’ve found it, the screw falls off
the socket. Aarrrggggg! Back to the  drawing board. And all the time, you’re
trying to hold the air grill up in the  air and aligned with the body. Don’t
you just hate that?

Well, I’ve got  a fix for that. For years, I’ve scrounged a certain ¼”
deepwell hex head screw  from anywhere I could find them. They’re often used to
attach cable ends to  places like the heater control box, and on the LM
perimeter seal retaining  strips in the engine compartment. They come in both
pointed end and blunt end  styles and are the same thread as the original
screws that mount the exhaust  air grill.

So I’ve been using these screws in place of the original  shallow hex head
screws because they won’t fall off the socket as you’re  fishing around
trying to find that elusive hole. The problem has been to be  able to find
enough of these rare screws.

But good news! These screws  are now available from Clark’s as item #C3400L
for individual screws and  #C3400R for a package of 29 screws, and costs
from 79 to 95 cents each. They  call them “tophat” screws, though I’ve always
called them deepwell screws. But  whatever you call them, once you’ve used
them on the rear air grill, you’ll  never use those original #@*&% screws
again.
the property
of  the writer, please attribute properly. For help,
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to:  VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Change your options:  http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs