<VV> Anti-seize usage on wheel studs

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Feb 11 00:01:15 EST 2015

I realize you have more years of experience with this subject, but as a
former shop owner:

Do you live in the rusty east? I do and I use anti-seize, grease, oil,
whatever is handy. I have swapped thoudsands of wheels and the only one
that came off was the one I NEVER tightened. That was an expensive
lesson. Shop rules changed at that time to a more standard operation
procedure for wheels including proper torquing and lubrication. I know
several shop owners in this area with similar results using lubrication.
Of course, anti-seize does change the torque values needed to clamp the
wheel correctly. One can use anti-seize incorrectly and that's when the
lawyers get involved.

Nothing beats being on the road with a flat tire and not being able to
remove it with the factory lug wrench, either from over tightening or rust.

I only worked on cars, not large trucks. I see research was done for the
large truck industry, including Budd or stud centered wheels, and dual
wheels. These wheels NEED oil on their threads for the torque values to
be correct. Anti-seize, while changing the torque required by the same
percentage as on any fastener, since the value on truck wheels is so
large, the difference is enough to cause overtorquing if values are not
adjusted. And the results can be what you predicted, including lawyers
again, after a loose wheel causes mayhem. I see your point on large
truck wheels. Did your research find wheel offs from cars in the 100
ft-lb or less torque value category?

YMMV

Frank DuVal