<VV> Anti-seize on wheel nuts

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Wed Feb 11 20:12:11 EST 2015

On 2/11/2015 9:08 AM, Jim Becker via VirtualVairs wrote:
> That is a disturbingly high percentage.  If you consider that a brake
> job (or new set of tires or whatever) on the typical tractor involves
> 10 "truck wheel end disturbances ", that means that 1 in 50 will loose
> a wheel.  With 10 million large trucks in this country, if half (or
> even a quarter) of them get their wheels disturbed in a year, you are
> talking about a lot of flying wheels every day.

Good point - and I don't think there are that many wheels bouncing around.
Something about that statistic is fishy.

> Only 0.2% of truck wheel end disturbances (any reason a wheel is
> removed and replaced) at the time resulted in a wheel-off. 98% of
> those wheel-offs occurred within 600 miles.

I've seen studs and seating surfaces (passenger vehicle) badly worn on a
vehicle here in sunny SoCal.
This was after 100-150k miles. I bought it new, so I know it didn't live
anywhere else.
The wheels didn't seem to have been loose, but the taper seats on the
wheels were looking bad.
This was an 89 Aerostar.

--
Jay Maechtlen