<VV> Appreciate some help with poor idle, stalling

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Feb 13 00:47:46 EST 2015

Hi Bill,

A few thoughts:

> On Feb 12, 2015, at 1:32 AM, Bill H. via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
>
> 6.  At idle, in Neutral, when I put my hand over the throat of the left carb, the suction is STRONG and the engine falters and stalls if I keep my hand there.  Turning the idle mixture screw does have a minor affect on the idle.
> 7.  With my hand over the right carb, the suction is WEAK and the engine actually smooths out and the idle speed increases. Turning the idle mixture screw all the way in or out does nothing to change the idle.

It sounds like the right carb is dirty and the carbs are likely out of sync.

> 8.  Removed both idle mixture screws, sprayed carb cleaner in the port, replaced screws.  Tried revving the engine with my hand tightly over each carb throat separately, with the hope that the surge of fuel might wash dirt or debris from the idle circuit. Didn't change idle at all.

Spraying cleaner down the mixture screw hole only cleans one little part.  Try spraying cleaner through the little hole in the top of the venturi cluster.

> 9.  Carbs are tight, both on the intake manifold, and the air horns are tightly screwed to the carbs.
> 10. Plug wires are in good shape, engine has Pertronix ignition system.

One thing I never would have guessed - if you have the Ignitor hooked up to the coil like most of us do, try running a separate wire to +12V to power just the Ignitor.  Leave the stock wire to the coil, and the black wire from the Ignitor to the - side of the coil.  It made a huge difference in idle quality on the wagon.

--Bryan