<VV> Transmission/engine motor mounts

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 10:34:38 EST 2015

Jerry, there could be several causes. I have a 62 Coupe and my engine was
sagging when I bought it.

It could be the transmission mounts, there are two up front that bolt to
the crossmember.
It could be oversized holes in the transmission mount itself.
It could be the crossmember cushions.

In my case, it was a combination of the transmission mounts AND the
crossmember cushions.

Also, I found the rear engine mount sagging, too, so had to replace that.

I know it sounds like a big job, and don't be afraid to take the
engine/transaxle out, because it does make the rest of the job easier,
however, I removed my rear crossmember with the engine and transaxle in
place.

I lowered the front by placing a scissors jack from one of my cars at the
bell housing castings.
Disconnect clutch, shifter and throttle linkages as needed, then lower just
enough to get the mount bracket off the back of the transmission.
Then you will need to disconnect the brake hoses, emergancy brakes.
then loosen the crossmember bolts. I used my lug nut air gun and they came
right out, others have had those bolts break off.
It depends on how much rust there is in the car.

Then, I used a couple of other scissors jacks and lowered the crossmember
out of the car. If you just want to replace the cushions and not do any
restoration work in there, then lower it enough to get the cushions
replaced, otherwise, take it all out and go through it.
It is a big job, but there is no way around having to do it!

Mark Durham
Hauser, Idaho
62 Monza coupe Red/Red 4 speed