<VV> 55 Chev Dream car

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 11:34:20 EST 2015

No problem, Frank.
Since we were able to display the car at Pebble Beach with all its deep
reconstructive plastic surgery well
concealed, looking more like a well preserved 'barn-find', even Joe often
forgets to mention the 'Frankenstein'
middle period this car went through.

There were two others involved, Kerry Hopperstad, who built the new chassis
for the car, since the entire
chassis was lost during the junkyard period and a previous fiberglass
attempt which needing to be completely
removed in order to proceed with my step. The axis of the body had been
bonded back together crooked,
but it was Joe's first sight of the car back, somewhat together and he said
it inspired him to proceed further
to get the chassis built.

I have to hand it to Joe for his perseverance, when it looked like the car
was so far gone, that it was just a
pile of cut up parts, with no future. It was his son, who convinced him to
load the pile on the trailer too,
along with the other cars they were rescuing that day in Warhoops junkyard.

The engineers at GM, who by then had become friends with Joe and
enthusiastic about his efforts, presented
him with a pack of the original engineering drawings for the Biscayne,
developed from their own stash of old
microfilm records. That info was used by Kerry and myself, as we
reconstructed the missing elements of the car.

Yes, it must have been the lack of fins. The car actually WAS a car of the
future, since it pointed the way
to the period that came AFTER the excesses of oversize cars, well into the
'70s. Joe has promised me that at
the next show, he'll get a Mustang owner to park their car next to the
Biscayne and shoot some pics,
in order to demonstrate the strong basic resemblance between the two
designs.

Mel Francis
Oconomowoc, WI