<VV> Re-hang a door alone?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Feb 23 01:06:02 EST 2015

IV, this bar is used to align doors without adjustable hinges. Your
hinges are adjustable.

Non adjustable doors are quite common for the last 20+ years, as the
hinges weld on instead of bolt on. Quicker manufacturing! I have a long
version of this bar from back in  my colsion shop days. It is very
handy. But not for Corvairs unless an accident has moved a lock pillar
or hinge pillar.

If you look to see if the door latch is higher or lower than the
striker, and if the door in in or out compared to the body front and
rear, you have a start at adjusting the door. Also lok to see if the gap
is even all the way around. Earlies are pretty good at even gaps. Lates,
not so much, there is usually bad gaps (upper font edge fit is poor) on
lates. You can lightly loosen the bolts to allow the door to be moved
(with force) without it falling out of place. I think directions for
door adjusting is in the shop manual. Adjust one side (inside/outside)
of one hinge to see what it does.

I agree, a friendly body man who likes old cars would be a good friend
at this time.

Frank DuVal