<VV> Re-Hang a Door

Nick R nraeber at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 15:28:13 EST 2015

Hi Yall

I have a tech tip related to hanging doors onto a freshly repainted car.
It's really simple. After you have completely adjusted the trunk lid, or
engine lid... When you're ready to remove the lid immediately prior to
repainting the assembly, try this. Get out your drill motor and insert an
eighth inch drill bit. On the lid hinge, pick a spot on the hinge in
between the 2 bolt heads and drill a hole being careful not to drill too
far and go through the top (outer) surface. After all the parts have been
painted and it's time for reassembly, these holes will work as index points
for reassembly. Just use an awl or any other 1/8" pin to stab the alignment
holes and start your fastening bolts. If you're going for points at a
concours, you might not want to drill any alignment holes into your hinges,
but for the rest of us, this will save quite a bit of time as well as
preventing fresh paint loss. I'm not certain how to apply this concept to
door hinges, but when I get ready to remove my doors for repainting, I will
figure out a way to drill an alignment hole that will help me get my doors
back in place with a minimum of paint loss. In the GM factory, we used a
patch of thick leather with magnetic tape on the edges to cushion panels
from touching each other causing paint loss. I wouldn't try rehanging any
door or lid without a second person unless protecting the paint finish was
not a consideration.