<VV> Towing a Convertible with a Tow Dolly

Mike Clark mclark67 at charter.net
Fri Feb 27 16:59:15 EST 2015

I towed my 65 convertible with a tow dolly when I bought it and brought it
home.  Initially I wanted to have it backwards on the tow dolly, but with
the wider tires and low hanging exhaust it wouldn't fit.

Ideally the heaviest part of the car goes on the dolly.  This will prevent
swaying.

I was towing with a Suburban so I wasn't so worried about the flap on the
convertible top getting ripped up.  In the end, the front wheels were on the
dolly.  As with any towing, I took it easy on the interstate and swaying was
at a minimum.

And Bob is absolutely right.  Backing up with a tow dolly, encumbered or
otherwise, is a big no-no.

I would think you could tape the flap down or bungee a towel or something
around the back of the top and it would suffice.

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia

First, the reason the backing-up part did not go well is because tow
dollies are not to be backed up at all when loaded.  The solution to
this is to plan ahead at all times, so that you never have to back up.

Second, with the car being towed backwards will the airflow damage the
convertible top?  Yessir, you betcha, roger that.  Here, however, I
cannot speak from experience regarding a fix (other than don't do it),
but I have heard tales of protecting the top with plastic, cardboard,
thin plywood, or similar.  Perhaps someone with hands-on experience will
have a better answer.