<VV> Towing a Convertible backwards-put the top down?

Charlie chaz at properproper.com
Sat Feb 28 03:03:00 EST 2015

Hmmm...

This would have helped me a few weeks ago when my '65 Monza alternator swallowed its "GRD" bolt (the external had fallen off, and gone unnoticed!)

This little bolt jerked the engine (via the fan belt) to an abrupt halt, and almost immediately, the engine stalled from the dead short in the alternator (across the alternator heat sink)!

However, I think I inadvertently avoided all the aforementioned problems of getting dolly-towed backward 13 miles home down a steep hill (coasting I can reach 90 down this grade.)

Anyway, my top was down (as it ALWAYS is!), so none of those problems occurred to my car, since there was nothing but the windshield to "Catch the Wind" (as Donovan would have said.)

It had never occurred to me to put the top up, and if I had, I would have discovered firsthand what all you guys are now warning others not to do!

Good advice, and now I know!  (Besides never putting my top UP in the first place!)

Thanks for all the interesting stories!

Charlie