<VV> Corvair & Mustang...

Brent Fullard brent.fullard at rogers.com
Mon Jan 5 21:32:56 EST 2015

Here's precisely what Lee Iaccoca said, in his own words, in his autobiography about the inspirational role the Corvair played in the origins of the Mustang (page 68)

"The Fairlane Committee, as we called ourselves, had a lot on the ball. We were dimly aware that the car market would be turned on its ear in the next few years, although there was no way of knowing exactly how that would happen. We also knew that General Motors had taken the Corvair, an economy car, and transformed it into the hot-selling Corvair Monza simply by adding a few sporty accessories such as bucket seats, stick shift and fancy interior trim. We at Ford had nothing to offer to the people who were considering a Monza, but it was clear to us that they represented a growing market."
Iacocca: An Autobiography