<VV> Cursed by Pushbuttons

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Mon Jan 19 07:51:31 EST 2015

> After 65 - no more pushbuttons for Chrysler. Aspen/Volares were way after
> that. Edsel had the pushbuttons in the steering wheel.
Here's why I cringe every time I see the word "pushbutton" anywhere near
the word "Corvair"....

Scene:
~~~~~~
1) Me
2) Standing next to my Corvair in a grocery store parking lot
3) Usually with a bag of frozen food that I need to get home
4) Accosted by some Blowhard, who's in the company of 2 women
5) Both of whom are sheepish and hanging on the Blowhard's every word.

Dialogue:
~~~~~~~~~
Blowhard: Oh, a Corvair.  That's the one with the pushbutton
transmission.  Am I right?

Blowhard: (Turns to women to make sure they're drinking all this in.
Women look at him, then at me.)

Me (politely): No, I think you're thinking of the T-shaped shifter on
the dash that came on Corvairs with automatic transmissions.

Blowhard (puffing up): No, I'm tellin' you, the Corvair had the
pushbutton transmission.

Me (done being polite): No Corvair was ever manufactured with a
pushbutton transmission.

Blowhard: Whaddya mean they didn't?  I'm tellin' you.  My brudda had
one.  I remember it.

Me: (Standing there with that stare of disbelief that I get when some
moron who hasn't seen a Corvair in 40 years attempts to lecture a
current Corvair owner on the finer points of Corvairs.)

(Return to top and repeat endlessly.)

Steven "wishes he had a nickel for every time this has happened" Serenska