<VV> Corvairs are crummy cars

Vairtec Corp vairtec at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 09:13:56 EST 2015

Has to be true, people say so!

Why have we begun "piling on" Chrysler with Wikipedia quotes and random
anecdotes?

If unattributed quotes are to be believed then yes, Corvairs are crummy.

If random anecdotes are to be the basis for judging a car then let me
add the stories of the two bulletproof Aspen/Volare models used by my
business, or the two Omnirizons that proved to be entirely dependable,
or the seven Chrysler minivans that withstood salesman use, or the two
Chrysler products that my wife and I drive currently.

In 45 years of vehicle ownership for my business and family,
encompassing nearly 100 cars and light trucks, there has only been one
that I might accuse of being subpar:  A six-cylinder Camaro, one of two
Camaros that passed through.

Had a four-door Chevette -- a Chevette! -- that felt like it was carved
from a piece of granite and never required repair of any sort in over
100,000 miles of service.

I've owned Chevy-Buick-Pontiac-Cadillac-GMC and Saturn.  (Somehow missed
ever having an Oldsmobile.)  Also Ford (but not Mercury), AMC, Dodge,
Chrysler, Plymouth, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen.

The worst build quality was a tie between a Pontiac and a Chevy. But
they ran without ever missing a beat.  The worst failure was one of the
early Chrysler Ultramatic automatic transmissions in a minivan, but it
was replaced under warranty.

Had Chevy Citations that were alleged to fishtail under braking but
never did.  Plymouth Volares that were supposed to rust out but never
did.  Corvairs that were supposed to spin out of control, flip over,
catch fire -- but never did.

People can cite horror stories about any brand, and tales of
dependability about any brand.  If you are going to trade in anecdotes,
then you cannot complain when people offer them about those dangerous
crappy Corvairs.

--Bob