<VV> Air Cleaners

James P. Rice ricebugg at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 17:04:28 EDT 2015

All:  Thanks to each of you for your replies to my question about reversing
the airflow thru a air cleaner.

In different ways, you all said pretty much the same thing.  Consensus is
that air flow from the inside out of typically round air filters will work,
probably with a restricted flow and possibly causing the outside to expand
as it they seldom have the backing like the insides do.

And none of you asked way, although one did suggest it was a weird question.
To which I agree.

Now the answer to why I asked this weird question.

Over several decades I've heard at various time owners of enclosed trailer
lament the fact their trailers are not air tight, and they generally have to
dust their car upon arriving at a show.  Racers, of course, simply go out
and blow the dust off by the top end of 2nd gear.

Well, last Sunday, one of the few "car people" church was lamenting about
the dust question he was anticipating as he was taking their two '30 Ford
somethings to a show soon.   Having thought about the question some
previously, I asked him "Why don't you pressurize the inside of your
trailer?  Mount an air cleaner up in a corner, sealed at the bottom, mount a
small air scoop on the roof and force the air out whatever leaky places
where it is coming in now. " Hence the reverse flow thru the air cleaner.
No venting required, as the trailer is already vented, hence the dust inside
it on the car.   Of course up in a corner isn't the only place you could
mount a filter, much less do so in a way which forces air thru the filter
inside to outside.

Has any of you ever had such a thought or tried such a set-up?

Historically Yours,
                            James