<VV> Corvair 110 sounds like 10 lb hammer

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 23:32:37 EDT 2015

Twice, the noise went away for a
few seconds with no noticeable change
in power, just back to her former
purring.

I thought maybe a dropped valve seat that re-seated for a moment,
but
the compression is (right side) 130/90/130 and (left side)
110/100/110
(1-3-5/2-4-6)

There is no noticeable noise or resistance when I
turn her over with the
fan belt or with a wrench.

There is also no
noticeable noise or resistance when I crank her over
with the starter (with the
coil wire off) ~ she sounds "normal" ~ just
smoothly cranking over.

Tomorrow
I may pull the right head where the source of the banging noise
seems to
originate, but I figured a little theory might help me see what
I might find
when I open her up?

So, what do you think?
Thanks!
Charlie

Before pulling a head....  re-torque the heads!  especially the 1-3-5    BTDT!!

other than that sounds like a seat!     Borrow a borescope!!   Many have them nowadaze....

$7  on ebay!    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291365341975

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio