<VV> gear lube leveling problem

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Thu Jul 23 21:30:28 EDT 2015

I had a discussion with Mark, Clark's tech guy, and we ended up agreeing to
disagree.  He said that the gear oil matched the original GM spec for the
Corvair.  I said that there had been a lot of progress in lubricants since
the Corvair was new.  And there it ended.

Having said that, I recently switched from Amsoil transaxle oil (75-90) to
Brad Penn GL4 (80-90).  I was having some noise from the transmission when
the car was idling in neutral with the clutch disengaged and the transaxle
hot.  The noise was only audible from inside the car, so it wasn't a huge
deal -- yet.  Several people told me that they had a similar experience
with the lighter synthetic.  Today was the first trial and the noise seemed
to be gone and the shifting was still great (it's a '65 transmission).
More testing is required.

Dave Keillor