<VV> Gear lube level problem

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 12:40:50 EDT 2015

Joel, Smitty,
What you have stated may very well be true and thanks for your comments.
But unfortunately you have change the subject of discussion. You have
referenced  the Early model Corvairs (and '65) that came with that tag located at
the tranny  filler port.

But the subject was different from that. We were talking about the 1968
transaxle that did NOT come with a tag like the EM's. And the LM 4-spd tranny
is  an entirely different one from the EM's.  In fact no references were
made  at all as to checking and filling, except a general one in the SM. So if
someone were highly knowledgeable like you, the checking and filling
procedure is a snap. My hat is off to you.

 But for the average Corvair guy, it would be a big surprise to find  that
the lube checking holes are at different levels. And maybe a big surprise
too as to which one is at the lowest position in the transaxle.

And so the dilemma as to which one to use for determining the correct lube
level. Should I underfill the tranny or, over fill the  differential???????
    Also comes the question as to just  why Chevrolet didn't make an effort
to put the holes at the same level and why  wasn't this checking procedure
addressed in the Shop Manuals for the LM's? Or  maybe a tag included like
the EM's?

Bob Helt