<VV> Is it common to remove 2/4 carbs?

Marc Lee marc at classicjet.com
Thu Jul 30 12:40:11 EDT 2015

I just bought a '66 Monza 4-dr in really decent, drive able shape. It has a few issues but for $2800 it was a fair buy. I should add this is my first Corvair. I just want to get a daily driver for my daughter.

Question: this is a Monza with the 140 engine and the Powerglide tranny. Somebody removed 2 of the 4 carbs and welded shut the holes.

Is this common? Is it ok to leave it that way, and am I suffering anything by leaving it? Why do people do that- is it performance related?

Thanks for listening. This is my first post here. I've been researching, buying manuals, and getting my tools ready :).

Marc C. Lee
Orange County, CA
'66 Monza 4-dr 140 Powerglide