<VV> Syncronizing Carbs

S M shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 30 18:10:16 EDT 2015

Well, that's just it, Mark. The linkages have slack in them, even straight from the factory, and with my (and many others') method it becomes insignificant. I'm sure Smitty's talking about my post, and while I have the greatest respect for his experience, I must disagree with him on this. I set the balance at idle with the idle speed screws, with the linkage slack and the throttle plates resting against the screws. That doesn't get messed up when you adjust the linkage on the left carb (a bit) to make up for the slack when the linkage has pressure on it. When you let up on the throttle, the levers still rest on the the idle screws. If you don't syncronize at 2000rpm the car may surge at part throttle. Maybe, maybe not if your linkage is pretty good. With very worn linkage this can be quite significant. The new style linkages are nice, but not really necessary if you do the 2000rpm adfjustment. I always double check synch at idle and it doesn't change.
I also set valves cold and prefer Earlies...

yea, Vairily ... Shaun