<VV> Spark Plugs Flying

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jun 2 16:41:09 EDT 2015

Ford 6, 8, 12, 16 OK, I'm kidding now!

Yes, if you go back to earlier Fords, like say 1966, most all their engines
use the 18mm tapered seat plug. It is only around the 80s that the V-8s got
the 14mm plugs. The Autolite tapered seat plug 18mm is a .460" reach and a
typical part number is 45 for Ford engines. So if you use a taper seat
plug, you must taper in pretty far (.040"?) to correct the reach.

Danny Oatey in Roanoke, VA did a lot of 18mm plug installations on Corvair
heads to keep the daily drivers on the road back then.

I think he found an 18mm gasketed plug to use.

OK, just called Autolite, they still have two 18mm washer gasketed 1/2"
reach spark plugs in production. The 373 is slightly colder than the
275(the 275 being Autolite's stock Corvair 14mm plug with a 1/2' Reach and
washer gasket i.e. a 44F in AC Delco). And the 386 Autolite is slightly
hotter heat range than the 275.

YMMV,

Frank DuVal

Original email: