<VV> <CORSA Chapters> CORSA blunder

Vairtec Corp vairtec at comcast.net
Thu Jun 25 18:36:09 EDT 2015

Bill, I key on two of the things you mentioned:

"The '63 White Monza Lambrecht car was classified into the Modified
class for Concours - technically correct due to the incorrect size of
his whitewall radial tires"

and

"To call it modified because he didn't drive it here on 52 year old bias
belt tires is insane."

I now comment:

The car was classified correctly, so any "blunder" would be with the
classification rules, not their application in this instance.  Any
lesson learned here should be about revisions to the rules, not about
making exceptions to them.

If an exception were to be made here, I think the wise exception would
have been to not place the car in the concours competition, instead
putting it on display in a central location and giving the owner some
kind of special recognition.

To a great extent I think the problem is rooted not in the rules but in
the nomenclature.  "Stock," whether it is accompanied by "Factory" or
"Original" or "Restored" or some other term, connotes not only condition
comparable to as it left the factory all those years ago, but also a
stock appearance to the ordinary person. "Modified" connotes not only
those changes evident to the cognoscenti, but also changes readily
visible to the average joe. So I think the term "Modified" should be
reserved for cars with obvious changes -- aftermarket wheels, custom
paint, high-back seats, that sort of thing.  If a car looks stock to an
ordinary person, it is in my view sufficiently stock to go into a class
with "stock" attached to its name.

You could have "Stock 1" for the utterly authentic cars, "Stock 2" for
those with minor changes such as modern radial tires, and "Stock 3" for
cars that appear stock but have such things as a '66 engine in a '64.

This would avoid the pejorative nature of calling the Lambrecht car
"modified," and it is a semantic distinction that has been meaningful to
a lot of people through the years.  For decades, Corvair owners have
gotten their knickers in a twist over being moved out of "stock."  So
don't move them out of "stock," just move them into a different "stock."

--Bob Marlow