<VV> Camshaft Timing Question

Bob bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Fri Jun 26 11:49:37 EDT 2015

HI,

I'm just early on in the process of re-assembling my 3.1 for my UltraVan and
yesterday I put the crankcase halves together.

I have the shop manual but mostly followed the directions in Bob Helt's book
for aligning the camshaft to the crankshaft.

As with the first build there is no way I can get the alignment marks
absolutely together. The closest I get is about a half tooth off.

I pulled the camshaft several times and moved it 1 tooth forward and
backward.

Everything else looks right i.e. number 2 piston is at TDC as per Bob Helt's
book

It ran like this the first time but now I'm curious - has this happened to
anybody else? Do I need to be concerned?

Thanks,

Bob