<VV> cracked

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Sun Mar 1 13:29:51 EST 2015

Yesterday, I was getting ready to install a new front main seal in the pg bellhousing for my '63 ragtop.  I had to remove the drivetrain to fix the blown seal in the diff.
You know, the one that allows the tranny fluid to mix with the gear oil.  Orange gear oil.  Yuk!  Anyway, while patiently scrubbing said bellhousing, I happened to notice not one, not two, but three hairline cracks about 3 inches long!!!  They were located on the center support rib (the one just below the lifting eyelet), and rib to the right of that one as viewed from the outside, looking down.  The two on the center rib hadn't, as yet, reached each other to become one big crack.
Now, my question is this: has anyone else ever experienced cracks in their 'vair bellhousings?  And, when the cracks had eventually joined, could this have weakened the bellhousing enough to cause it to split in two at that point?  A sobering thought indeed.  Just wondering............

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'60 700 4dr '64'110/4spd
'63 '500' ragtop 110/pg
'65 Monza 4dr 84/pg