<VV> cooling

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Fri Mar 13 13:28:44 EDT 2015

Hey IV,
I'm not sure about the AC part, but as for cooling i'll give you my .02 worth.  I have an Otto parts pan on my ragtop.  Without a temp gauge, its hard to give exact numbers, but it does help.  My school of thought is that anything you can do to help our 'vairs run cooler is fair game.  Also, please be sure to "deflash " the heads.  This makes a MAJOR difference.  My favorite method is to use an 1/8 " aircraft drill bit.  I'm still amazed at the amount of excess metal I remove.  One of the dudes on VV shared that idea.  Thanks!!!  Another dude likes the Harbor Freight "air file".  I tried that one too, but for me, it is still under development.  One of the biggest things you can do is to use a good fully synthetic oil.  I love Amsoils' 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Oil.  It has the highest levels of ZDDP in it that I've seen.  Your engine will drop some 20-40 degrees just for having it in the crankcase.  (vs petroleum oil)  That part is verified.  Plus, don't forget, you can leave the lower shrouds off, too.  This is a BIG help for cooling in hot climates too.  Hope this helps.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'60 700 4dr '64' 110/4spd
'63 '500' ragtop 110/pg
'65 Monza 4dr 84/pg