<VV> Fwd: heater odors

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Mar 15 22:27:35 EDT 2015

Seems a little strongly worded. I have seen many hose (aluminum and
fabric/rubber) installations with the sleeve left off. Retarded owner?
No, I did not suspect that. I suspected the foam sleeve deteriorated or
was just left off/thrown away with the old hose. Could have been flat
rate mechanics saving a minute, I've been working on these car that long.

Having seen smoking hoses on Corvairs, I am a little more worried about
fire. If there is a high resistance connection between the hose and the
post, it will not blow a hole, just get hot. Hot enough to start a fire.
"But the aluminum does not burn at low temperatures", but the
oil/grease/stuffing carried by mice does burn.

I have solved several dead battery complaints on Corvairs by insulating
the hose from the starter. It happens a lot more than you know.

I did not say to not use aluminum dryer hose, just be careful of all
hose installations.

Frank DuVal