<VV> My new battery has the terminals about 6 inces further awayfrom the engine

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 17 16:28:26 EDT 2015

You don't need longer cables.  They did not shrink while you were at the
parts store to pick up the new battery.  You need to take the battery back
to the store and get one with the reversed terminals.  Often they have an
"R" after the part number.

So, go see if the parts store still has your core battery in the back room.
Get one with the terminals arranged like the old battery that you took out.
Guess what, the cables will reach again!

Later, JR