<VV> Noisy lifter

hallgrenn hallgrenn at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 07:52:20 EDT 2015

Right on Frank!!!

Bob Hall

Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.

And after a good hot oil bath I'm ready for a fight!   ggg

Sure, cold is the shop manual and GM way to do it. But who listens to
those experts?   ggg

Then there is the 3 threads and you are done crowd. Or pick another
number. These are the threads exposed on the stud after tightening the nut.

The only purpose I find in adjusting hot is locating stuck lifters. When
one doesn't pump back down to quiet, there is the problem. Well, that
and the lovely hot oil treatments for my skin...

Back in the 70s and 80s I worked on a lot of high miles no care engines
for everyday drivers. This is when the "must adjust hot" theory came
about, to find problems, or just to make them work. many a Corvair left
with a "solid" lifter adjusted to just near quiet. But at least it
didn't leak oil.

Oh, and adjusting them hot usually got the push rod to seat properly,
which is the only bugaboo for people trying to adjust them cold/not running.

And one more thing if you order now - you can really see too high an oil
pressure when adjusting them hot. Quite surprising how much oil can come
out of a push rod with a stuck pressure relief valve.

Adjusting cold is so anti-climatic. No pain, just a running engine.

Frank DuVal