<VV> Pennzoil Synchromesh

James Cuneo jamescuneo at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 27 11:07:48 EDT 2015

I too read the post and did as Smitty to help a balking second gear.Removed one pint and added same of Pennzoil product. Over the next 100 miles downshifting to second became easier but not perfect. I can live with it.The possibility of burning up my R&P has me concerned.PS Why didn't chevy put a drain plug in my txle?J. CuneoNorcal

Subject: <VV> Synchromesh problems.

Smitty Says:  Several months ago I reported that the tranny in Spike was getting very balky, sometimes not being able to get into third gear.  Shortly after that the other synchros started blocking gear entry.  I was asking about if anybody had the same problem.  I was sure in my own mind that the problem was a lack of properties in the transaxle lube I was using, in spite of the container saying it met GL-4 specifications.  I checked at my local FLAPS with he who knows everything.  (As long as his computer says so).  He suggested some gear oil called Synchromesh, made by Pennzoil.  He said he had been selling quite a bit to Mopar and GM owners for the same problem I was having.  I picked up a 1 Qt bottle off the shelf and knew right away it was runny like water.  That didn’t seem right to me but what did I have to lose.  If it kept on I was going to have to pull the TNXL anyway.  I took it home and added about a pint to my TNXL, overfilling it a bit.  Over the next weeks it got better and better, until I could do snap shifts or leisurely shifts as easily as one could ask for.  I repeated this to VV and one individual responded that he had filled his TNXL with the stuff and burned up his ring an pinion.  Not surprising to me as thin and watery as it is.
No place on the bottle does it say that it is merely an additive.  I have to assume that is what it is intended for.  No place on the bottle does it say how much you should add.  The pint I poured in may have been overkill.  All I can say is that it worked for me and I won’t be pulling the tranny.  I have enough miles and hours on Spike since then to be satisfied it is a good thing in judicial amounts.