<VV> URLs "LMFAO" ? : Breaking the bad habit of clicking on weird stuff (80-20 rule at work?)

Charlie chaz at properproper.com
Sat Mar 28 00:19:40 EDT 2015

Now that you ask, I never liked that "tiny" URL - always looked suspicious
to me.

I waited a very long time and saw a number of VVers test it for me before I
ever clicked it (still don't like it but if what you say is linked on it, I
MIGHT (emphasis "MIGHT") go there.

Sure it's not a "bad" link, but it gets people in the habit of clicking on
weird stuff, thinking it's OK, when really, they just got lucky?

I have a large collection (in a special "DO NOT CLICK" folder) of suspicious
emails, some with pretty nasty messages that might induce someone ~ with
more prurient interests than I ~ to follow them into their peculiar rabbit
hole links.

Many of those links ~ some visible, some hidden beneath the visible URL ~
look just like your "tinyurl" and more often like the totally corrupted
(through valid) "r.ebay.com/ylaoMF" URL (LMFAO?)

Of course, the fact that it also looks like the popular "LMFAO" text-byte, I
can't help but think when I click it, someone just might be "L"-ing his or
her "FAO" at my expense.

My caveat is that, especially in a forum where not everyone is what one
might call "tech savvy" those of us who are should try to make it a safe
place to "meet" so to speak?

I have to wonder where whoever originally posted that could have found such
a weird URL?

www.eBay.com/itm/191544399720 goes to the same page.

That's all I'm saying ...

Charlie