<VV> Synchromesh problems

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sun Mar 29 12:30:55 EDT 2015

Smitty Says;  Taking Jim Becker's advise to check out what the computer has
to say, a step farther,  I read up at several locations.  The best was
reached by using key words "GL-4, GL-5 transmission lube."  The post on the
menu by Richard Widman was very educational if not gratifying.  His post is
titled "The difference between GL-4 and GL-5."  I say not gratifying because
the situation seems hopeless to me. You may remember Richard as the man who
resurrected the only Corvair in Bolivia.
So from the mouth of one who is a refinery engineer I don't see that we have
a long term choice but to try things (as I did) and see what works.  The
problem with a Corvair (as Richard mentions) is that the lube is shared by
the transmission where synchromesh protection is a priority, and the
differential, where the hypoid gear extreme pressure is a priority.
If you look for help on the labeling of the products, you lose.