<VV> Turbo engine swap into 140 Corsa

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:20:26 EDT 2015

Hey guys!  It's been a long time,  but don't worry I haven't given up
Corvairs =).  I've been super busy and haven't had much time for hanging
out on forums and the mailing list.  Once I get started I have a tendency
to spend a ton of time reading every message and have a compulsion to join
in any conversation I feel I can participate in.  It takes a LOT of time!

On to the topic.  My 1966 140 Corsa didn't move last year because I've got
a little engine trouble and want to open it up to take a look, solve the
problem, and hopefully make some improvements while I'm inside.  I won't be
finishing that any time soon largely because I have to come up with the
money for a gasket set and the other parts that should be replaced when you
open the engine up.

I have a 1965 180hp Corsa with an engine that runs just fine, but the body
won't be ready for the road for a good long while yet.  I'm considering
swapping that 180 into the 140 car so I can enjoy it while I very slowly
work my way through the 140 engine.  I don't expect I'll have the 140 ready
to go this year.  Doing the swap also gives me the opportunity to try out a
turbo Corvair.  I've never driven one, and mine won't be ready for a couple
years yet due to having other projects I need to finish first.

I know that the turbo cars have the cutout to clear the exhaust but I'm
pretty sure I can get around that with a custom muffler/tailpipe combo.
The thing I know might be a bigger problem is the fuel return line.

So I guess the question is; Can any of you walk me through what needs to be
done to put the 180hp engine into my 140 Corsa?  I don't want to make any
alterations that will very apparent or cause problems when I put the 140
back in.

Good to talk to you folks again, and thanks for any help!

Ray Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA

PS- If the info I need is in any of the Corvair books please feel free to
simply direct me to that info. I've got pretty much all of them now but
it's not easy to keep track of what info is in what book.